I am a keen, confident and ambitious individual with a talent for problem solving. My main attributes are excellent common sense, a quick analytical thinking ability, good interpersonal and communication skills and a talent for producing quality work through a hard but cheerful work ethic.
I have developed a wide range of experience in computer hardware, networking and software, particularly in the field of computer games. I have a very broad interest in the games industry and games development, I pursue my interest through research in the development pipeline, the games production lifecycle and the intricacies of project management methods.
I enjoy learning and developing new skills, with interests in artificial intelligence, education, full-stack web development, programming, security and software engineering.
BSc in Applied Computing, Sheffield Hallam University, 2011-2013
Diploma Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, Liverpool John Moores University, 2008-2010
Foundation Degree in Information Technology Networks, St Helens College, 2006-2008
MTA Software Development Fundamentals C#, 2013
Oracle Database Design and Programming with SQL – Teacher, Royal High School, Edinburgh, 2012
Microsoft Office Specialist – Expert, 2012
Work Experience and Professional Expertise:
2017-Present, Lecturer, Riverside College
Effective from 21st August I am a member of the HE lecturer team, teaching security and games development at level 3, 4 and 5.
2008-2017, Lecturer, St Helens College
Lecturer teaching post 16 up to degree level across a wide range of computing disciplines, including games development, computer systems and network security. During this time, I developed a wide range of original teaching resources and assessments to improve the learning experience of my students and increase their chances of success in exams, but more importantly for a meaningful career thereafter. These resources have included:
- Building a 3D car racing time attack game using UDK kismet scripts including debugging and testing the game;
- Designed and developed a multi-player top-trumps game using Unreal Engine 4 blueprints;
- Secured a grant providing 40 concurrent licenses for the Unity3D game engine on behalf of the college;
- Develop a 2D platform game with Unity3D for an introductory course in games development and animation;
- Emulating the launch of an independent games studio, merging games design, games development and project management;
- Programming embedded systems using iPads with Tickle on the Sphero BB8, introducing students to the Swift programming language;
- Remastering Linux to evaluate the purpose of an operating system;
- Develop Iron Python WPF applications mapped against Microsoft Introduction to Programming with Python jump start; and,
- Design, host and administration of a WordPress multisite for 90 users on Azure.
With continued research and development in computing I am proficient with a wide range of software applications, platforms and services including Azure, Blender, C#, .NET, GitHub, Hyper-V, Krita, Linux, Maya, MS Office, MS Project, Photoshop, Raspberry Pi, Unity 3D, UE4, VirtualBox, Windows IoT, and WordPress. I am experienced writing degree level modules and was approached to lead HCI and Web modules for the successful validation of an FdSc Computing course with UCLAN. I was also given the program leader role for a new BSc Games programming course in 2018.
2001-2006, Technician, Cineworld – Llandudno, Jersey & St Helens
At Cineworld I performed several duties, including:-
- A technical and operations management role, including responsibility for recruitment and training;
- The management of film assets (physical and digital), stock handling and auditing;
- Preventative, predictive and remedial maintenance of projectors, sound systems, computing equipment and screens across each site;
- Coordinating building maintenance and providing technical support for conference screen hires; and,
- Sourcing more cost-effective components for maintenance supplies, reducing expenditure and shipping costs.
Hobbies / Interests:
I enjoy exercise and maintaining my physical fitness, I routinely attend the gym between 4 and 5 times a week. I have two children who I encourage to participate in clubs outside of school. I love music and like to play guitar, I also like to build and play computer games.
References are available on request.